top of page

Under US immigration laws, sports visas for athletes typically fall into 5 different categories: Amateur athletes; College athletes; Professional Athletes; Coaches/Trainers/Support Personnel; and Family members of young athletes. Below is an example of services Ruttle Law provides for teams, coaches, and athletes. Contact us today to learn more.


B1/B2 Visa (Visitor for Business or Pleasure). Amateur athletes, and their coaches, can come to the U.S. for up to 180 days to receive short term training in the U.S. or participate in tournaments. Alternatively, athletes may be able to enter for up to 90 days under the Visa Waiver Program. For more information, please contact us.


O-1 visa (People with extraordinary ability). This visa is for athletes who have received sustained national or international acclaim and recognition for achievement in the sport, and may be issued for up to 3 years. For more information, please contact us.


P-1 Visa (Internationally recognized athletes). This visa applies to internationally recognized athletes who want to compete in their sport in the U.S, or, in some cases, work as a coach. Visas may be issued for up to 5 years. For more information, please contact us.


P-3 visa (Culturally Unique Performers). This visa allows athletes and coaches to come temporarily to the US to perform, teach or coach under a program that is culturally unique. The P-3 is initially a 1 year visa that is renewable every 12 months. For more information, please contact us.

Examples of Athletes/Support Personnel

  • Team Sports

    • Soccer

    • Baseball

    • Basketball

    • Football

    • Gymnastics

  • Combat sports

    • Boxing

    • MMA

    • Muay Thai

    • Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

    • Wrestling

    • Fencing

  • Action Sports

    • Surf

    • Snow

    • Skate

    • Ski

  • Essential Support Personnel

    • Coaches

    • Trainers

    • Specialists

bottom of page